Friends of Mystery Book Groups
Meetings During COVID-19
Meetings will take place at the usual time: the third Wednesday of each month, at 3:30 p.m. All are welcome.
Friends of Mystery sponsors a long-running book group that originally met at Murder by the Book, a mystery bookstore on Hawthorne Boulevard in Portland. When the store closed, the book group continued its meetings at the nearby Belmont Library at 1038 SE Cesar Chavez Blvd. (39th Ave.) between SE Belmont and Hawthorne. This book group meets the third Wednesday of each month (except December) at 3:30 pm, then adjourns for an early supper at a nearby restaurant. Once a year, all members suggest books for the following eleven months (we treat December differently), then we vote to select the next year’s roster and volunteer individually for convening each of the meetings. Membership is open, and all you have to do is read the book for that month, show up, and let everyone know what you thought of it. First, everyone contributes their thoughts, then there’s usually some followup discussion.
Below is a list of books chosen for discussion in 2020.
- February – Helene Tursten, An Elderly Lady Is Up to No Good
- March – James Lee Burke, The Jealous Kind
- April – Keigo Higashino, Newcomer
- May – Elizabeth Edmondson, A Man of Some Repute
- June – Megan Miranda, The Last Guest House
- July – Sophie Hannah, The Monogram Murders
- August – Jane Harper, The Dry
- September – Attica Locke, Bluebird, Bluebird
There is also a second mystery book group, formed initially at Murder by the Book, which meets at the Belmont Library on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 6:30 pm. Barbara Tom, my former co-owner at MBTB, selects the books for this group, and discussion is led by Lori Lake, a very fine local author. You can check out our website at www.mbtb.com to see all current and previous readings by the group. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Readings selected for 2020 for the second group include:
- January – Oyinkan Braithwaite, My Sister, the Serial Killer
- February – Lea Carpenter, Red White Blue
NOTE: Due to COVID-19, this group is suspended started with the March until things improve and public meetings can happen start up again. At that time, the group will read The WIdows of Malabar Hill (currently the March 2020 book) and then continue with the list.
- TBD – Sujata Massey, The Widows of Malabar Hill
- TBD – Colin Cotterill, The Coroner’s Lunch
- TBD – Walter Mosley, Down the River Unto the Sea
- TBD – Michael Koryta, How It Happened,
- TBD – Lori’s pick, to be announced
- TBD – James McLaughlin, Bearskin
- TBD – Sara Gran, Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead
You are very welcome to visit/join either or both of these reading groups.