Friends of Mystery Book Groups
Meetings During COVID-19
Meetings will take place at the usual time: the third Wednesday of each month, at 3:30 p.m. All are welcome.
Friends of Mystery sponsors a long-running book group that originally met at Murder by the Book, a mystery bookstore on Hawthorne Boulevard in Portland. When the store closed, the book group continued its meetings at the nearby Belmont Library at 1038 SE Cesar Chavez Blvd. (39th Ave.) between SE Belmont and Hawthorne. This book group meets the third Wednesday of each month (except December) at 3:30 pm, then adjourns for an early supper at a nearby restaurant. Once a year, all members suggest books for the following eleven months (we treat December differently), then we vote to select the next year’s roster and volunteer individually for convening each of the meetings. Membership is open, and all you have to do is read the book for that month, show up, and let everyone know what you thought of it. First, everyone contributes their thoughts, then there’s usually some followup discussion.
Below is a list of books chosen for discussion in 2021.
- March – Peter Lovesey, Bloodhounds
- April – Stan Jones, White Sky, Black Ice
- May – Val McDermid, Broken Ground
- June – Daniel Woodrell, Winter’s Bone
- July – Carlos Zafron, Shadow of the Wind
- August – Jane Harper, Force of Nature
- September – Joe Ide, IQ
There is also a second mystery book group, formed initially at Murder by the Book, which meets at the Belmont Library on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 6:30 pm. Barbara Tom, my former co-owner at MBTB, selects the books for this group, and discussion is led by Lori Lake, a very fine local author. You can check out our website at www.mbtb.com to see all current and previous readings by the group. For more information, contact email@example.com.
Readings selected for 2021 for the second group include:
- March – Tim Johnston, The Current
- April – Denise Mina, Conviction
- May – Olga Tokarczuk, Drive Your Plow Over the Dead
- June – Taylor Adams, No Exit
- July – Juri Jurjevics, Play the Red Queen
- August – Rachel Kushner, The Mars Room
- September – Ragnar Jonasson, Snowblind
- October – Tom Franklin, Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter
- TBD – Sujata Massey, The Widows of Malabar Hill
- TBD – Colin Cotterill, The Coroner’s Lunch
- TBD – Walter Mosley, Down the River Unto the Sea
- TBD – Michael Koryta, How It Happened,
- TBD – Lori’s pick, to be announced
- TBD – James McLaughlin, Bearskin
- TBD – Sara Gran, Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead
You are very welcome to visit/join either or both of these reading groups.