The Spotted Owl is chosen by a volunteer committee of Friends of Mystery members, and is announced in the spring of the year. Judging is currently underway for the 2020 award.
Learn more about the Spotted Owl Award, including eligibility and submission requirements, here.
Spotted Owl Award news and updates continue below.
Dugoni Receives 2023 Spotted Owl Award
Congratulations to Robert Dugoni, winner of the Spotted Owl Award for The Silent Sisters.
Easley Receives 2022 Spotted Owl Award
Congratulations to Warren Easley, winner of the Spotted Owl Award for No Witness.
Robert Dugoni wins the Spotted Owl for The Last Agent
Congratulations to Robert Dugoni, winner for the second year running of the Spotted Owl Award for The Last Agent.
Mike Lawson Wins Spotted Owl for House Witness
The Friends of Mystery is proud to announce our 2019 Spotted Owl Award Winner, Mike Lawson for House Witness.
Ingrid Thoft wins Spotted Owl for Duplicity
The Friends of Mystery is proud to announce our 2018 Spotted Owl Award Winner, Ingrid Thoft for Duplicity.
Friends of Mystery Welcomes Robert Dugoni
Join Friends of Mystery on September 28, 2017 as we present Robert Dugoni with the 2017 Spotted Award for Best Mystery for The 7th Canon.
Friends of Mystery Welcomes Jon Talton
On September 22, 2016, Friends of Mystery welcomes Jon Talton to open our the 2016-2017 Bloody Thursday season.
Cain and Shaw Receive 2015 Spotted Owl Awards
Chelsea Cain and Johnny Shaw have been chosen as recipients of the twentieth annual Friends of Mystery Spotted Award. Cain is receiving her award for her book, One Kick, published in August 2014 by Simon & Schuster. Johnny Shaw is receiving his award for his book,...
Friends of Mystery Announces 2014 Spotted Owl Award
The winner of the 2014 Friends of Mystery Spotted Owl award is Mike Lawson for House Odds.
Friends of Mystery Announces 2013 Spotted Owl Award
The winner of the 2013 Friends of Mystery Spotted Owl award is Mike Lawson for House Blood.
Spotted Owl Award Winners List:
- 2023 Robert Dugoni, The Silent Sisters
- 2022 Warren Easley, No Witness
2022 Mike Lawson, The Stanley Johnson Award for Lifetime Achievment
- 2021 Robert Dugoni, The Last Agent
- 2020 Robert Dugoni, The Eighth Sister
- 2019 Mike Lawson, House Witness
- 2018 Ingrid Thoft, Duplicity
- 2017 Robert Dugoni, The 7th Canon
- 2016 Jon Talton, High County Nocturne
- 2015 Chelsea Cain, One Kick
2015 Johnny Shaw, Plaster City
- 2014 Mike Lawson, House Odds
- 2013 Mike Lawson, House Blood
- 2012 Bill Cameron, County Line
- 2011 Dana Haynes, Crashers
- 2010 Alan Bradley, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
- 2009 Phillip Margolin, Executive Privilege
- 2008 Kate Wilhelm, A Wrongful Death
- 2007 Kris Nelscott, Days of Rage
2007 Mike Doogan, Lost Angel (First Mystery Novel Award)
- 2006 Kevin O’Brien, The Last Victim
- 2005 Kris Nelscott, Stone Cribs
- 2004 Lowen Clausen, Second Watch
- 2003 G. M. Ford, Black River
- 2002 Kate Wilhelm, Desperate Measures
- 2001 Marcia Simpson, Crow in Stolen Colors
- 2000 Lowen Clausen, First Avenue
- 1999 L. L. Thrasher, Charlie’s Bones
- 1998 Tom Mitcheltree, Katie’s Will
- 1997 John Straley, The Music of What Happens
- 1996 Earl Emerson, The Vanishing Smile